Columbia College Traditions
Holiday Lighting Ceremony
Columbia College welcomes the holiday season with an annual holiday lighting ceremony on Bass Commons at the main campus in Columbia, Mo.
The ceremony, free and open to the public, consists of the lighting of more than 4,500 white lights that illuminate the exterior of the campus throughout the holiday season. The college president along with the Student Government Association (SGA) president leads a countdown. At zero, the lights burst into view (from west to east) on the peaks and gables of Missouri Hall, the Atkins-Holman Student Commons, Dorsey Hall, St. Clair Hall, Launer Auditorium and Hughes Hall.
The lights are the brainchild of Bonnie Brouder, wife of President Gerald Brouder, who came up with the idea in 1995. Mrs. Brouder first consulted the man who lights the Plaza in Kansas City, one of the nation’s premier holiday lighting shows. The lights now are permanently installed and represent one of the college’s endeared traditions.
Ivy Chain Ceremony
Columbia College’s Ivy Chain is one of the nation’s oldest continuously held commencement events. First held in 1901, it is the most traditional event of graduation weekend. The ceremony is held on the morning of commencement and is followed by the graduation ceremony.
In the Ivy Chain Ceremony, associate, baccalaureate and master's degree candidates march from the Atkins-Holman Student Commons through Rogers Gates onto Bass Commons. Candidates then have an ivy chain draped over their shoulders, symbolizing the graduates' connection with the college and their fellow classmates. Specially designated graduates, ivy cutters, then cut the ivy from each person, signifying that although now separate from Columbia College and classmates, graduates will always remain a part of Columbia College.
Each participant also receives three long-stem red roses with notes to give to people who have made a significant impact on the Ivy Chain participant's college career. This further radiates the ceremony and the tradition.
To be selected as a cutter is thus an honor, and students are nominated from the college's 34 Nationwide and Online campuses. These usually are working adults whose families have made enormous sacrifices to achieve their dream of a college degree. The college's Division of Adult Higher Education selects two very special students from the Nationwide campuses based on integrity, academic career, work history and commitment to their community.
In 1912, St. Clair Moss secured funds from trustees, alumnae and friends to erect a stone gateway entrance to the campus as a memorial to Joseph K. Rogers, president of Christian College from 1858 to 1877.
St. Clair Hall
Completed in 1900, St. Clair Hall was built by co-presidents Luella St. Clair and Mrs. W. T. Moore. Originally it was named in honor of St. Clair’s husband who died four months into his term as Christian College president. The building came to mean “Annilee” to St. Clair, in memory of her only child who died at age 12 of inflammatory rheumatism just after the completion of the building. Ultimately, it would come to be known for Luella herself.
It is an Elizabethan building of pressed brick and white Bedford stone, with a round arched entrance. Orginally it contained administration offices, parlors, a library, art and kindergarten facilities, a dining room and three floors of dormitory rooms for 150 students.
The first Columbia College mascot was a centaur. By 1988, Columbia College was considering changing its centaur mascot. Miles Johnson, an art student, drew a cartoon cougar in Life Lines and the Columbian. Students then chose this artas the mascot’s image and dubbed him “Scooter.” Scooter wears the number 51 on his jersey in honor of Columbia College's founding as Christian College in 1851.